Friday, March 12, 2010

The Road Less Traveled

Eating healthy is a process, and something of a balancing act. Balancing the busy schedule of 3 home schooled kids with convenience of packaged food! Add to that a single income budget, eating healthy isn't always the cheapest choice. Before moving to Virginia, eating healthy was a little more accessible too.

Sporadically I've tried to get us back on track living in Virginia, but it is very easy to slip into another path of less resistance. Here I could list several reasons why the path of less resistance is just that, but I'm sure you can figure most of them out on your own. With Faith's recent digestive issues I'm bound and determined to be more successful this time.

One of the things I do to help us eat more healthy is home made bread. This takes getting into a routine, but once the routine is established it is pretty easy. However, making the bread isn't the biggest stumbling block. It's the kids!

Being able to grab a slice of bread out of a bag and make themselves something to eat is easy! Even though I buy wheat bread in the store the flavor of the processed, high fructose corn syrup, and preservative rich variety that comes from the store is so much more appealing.

Here is a picture of the 2 loaves I recently made.

Here is a sandwich I made for Faith this morning. I'd like to note that in the time of taking the picture and blogging about it, she has eaten almost all of it.

This time I'm determined to stand firm! I'm trying different recipes and rating them, to help me find the one that is most appealing to the family. Mike is behind me too, maybe not 100%, but he is backing me. If that is all there is to make a sandwich with you'll learn to like it? That's my hope.

I suspect when the warm weather really hits and summer fun is in full swing, I'll have my moments of weakness. All I can do is set out on the right path and pray for the best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment