Sunday, March 21, 2010

Another Day, Another year

In some families birthdays are like national holidays. Everyone gets together to celebrate and gifts are always given. In my family, growing up, birthdays were never something extraordinary, but rather kind of ordinary. Mom would make us a cake, that would be served after dinner, a card, a simple gift given from mom and dad, and the day was over, very simple.

I'm not complaining!! Just making an observation that I've noticed through the years, lots of families go all out on birthdays. Thankfully, Mike's family was much like mine when it came to birthdays. In fact he can recall one year he had to remind his mother it even was his birthday. Yesterday was my birthday, and it passed without any big blow outs. And you know what? That's okay!

21 years ago, on my 21st birthday we buried my father-in-law. Turning 21 is suppose to be a really big event. Mine was, but for all the wrong reasons. I'm thankful however because I will always remember the date of the death of a man that meant a lot to me! I truly believe that because my expectations on birthday celebrations is so low that it made that particular one passing without celebration bearable. Part of God's great plan? Maybe.

This was my first birthday without my own father, having lost him June 28, 2009. This year has been a many of firsts without him, and I did notice my birthday. Couldn't quite put my finger on what had been eating away at me for the entire day, but later it hit me, dad wasn't here to give me the happy birthday phone call.

I prayed to God yesterday that he would embrace dad for me on my birthday, and to be sure he knew how much he is loved, and missed.

Thank you Lord for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment