Saturday, February 6, 2010

Making the Best of It


Our second winter living in Central Virginia and whoa what a winter it has been!!!! Last year we heard from all the locals how it was the coldest winter they could recall in years. We didn't notice too big of a difference having grown up in New England. Now this winter all the locals are telling us, "This is the snowiest winter in probably 30 years." Can't seem to find any of this consoling!

There were many things we looked forward to when moving from New England, one of them being less snow and shorter winters. Another was the opportunity to get out of the town and live remotely. Well the remote living, until now has been fun. Now with all the snow it has definitely presented some new hurdles we've never had to contend with. But, we're managing and consoled by the fact when the sun is able to shine the snow will not last long.

On the positive side being trapped in the house for days has provided an opportunity to get some knitting done. Also to help keep the house warm I've spent more time baking.

Here is the cashmere scarf I'm working on, slow going, but I'm really liking how it is turning out.

Made cousin Larry a pair of socks. He was blown away by the surprise of receiving them. I'm so pleased!

Casted on another pair of socks. These will most likely become a Mother's Day gift for my mother-in-law.

Had been wanting to try my hand at making my own bagels. There just aren't any good bagels here in Virginia. But, just couldn't find the time to give the recipe a try. The snow finally gave me the opportunity. Jacob's comment after tasting, "These are as good as Dunkin Donuts." It will take me some time to get better at rolling them, but this recipe will become a regular so I should have plenty of practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment