Monday, February 23, 2009

Our Lives Have Been Changed

Where to begin...I haven't blogged in over a week.

On Thursday, February 12, we received word that my father has cancer. What a blow! It turned my families world on it's side. This is a 76 year old man who other than having to take high blood pressure and cholesterol pills has been the picture of health. He has always lived his life like nothing would ever effect him and in return I guess the rest of us did too.

My brother Joe and his wife had this past week off and Mike's schedule was a short week so they drove to our house last Saturday, 2/14. I then went with them to Florida on Sunday. While Mike took over the mommy duties here at home we helped mom and dad in Florida. We drove them to appointments, and made new ones, made phone calls to insurance companies, and hunted down x-rays and cat scan disks. We were also there to listen and support emotionally as dad slowly accepted his prognosis.

This week, him and mom are alone, but have 7 scheduled doctor appointments or procedures to keep them busy. I'm sure with 5 kids and 16 grand kids, who all love them very much, the empty house won't happen too often.

So, our lives have all changed, but we are a hearty bunch. We all have a strong faith and prayer life that mom and dad have instilled in us all. I'm confident we will get through this battle together.

No comments:

Post a Comment