Monday, July 12, 2010

Do As I Say, NOT as I Do

Something every parent teaches their children is internet safety. At least when they are old enough to understand it.

A few months ago Mike (husband aged 43) broke some of those rules. He became friendly with a friend of a friend. A man who had a common bond with Mike, he was on the same submarine... 20 years before Mike! Mike and him have become friendly through Facebook.

Gannon McHale, is currently acting in the play Tuesdays with Morrie at the Barter Theatre in Abington, NC. He contacted Mike last week to see if we would be home, on Sunday, so that he could come for a visit. Although Gannon feels he sits center left on many political issues, I knew for a fact before meeting him his opinions are FAR left of mine and Mike's. So, I promised Mike I would be a decent hostess and not start any political conversations.

It turned out to be a good visit. He brought his guitar and had a jam session with Jacob and Adam (visiting friend from CT).

Even the dog enjoyed the visit.
We managed to stay clear of any hot topics for the visit, but I just couldn't resist, when at the last minute he announced he was planning on leaving I just had to bring up one! My bad, I know!! We had a brief discussion on the Arizona Immigration Law. I won't bore you with the details, but as suspected... he has it ALL wrong!! LOL!

So, all is well that ends well. (Is that the saying?) Mike and I however, are being diligent to continue teaching our kids what NOT to do with strangers on the internet.

2 comments:

  1. Used properly, the internet is an excellent tool for brining people together who otherwise never would have met. The trick is using it properly... :)
    I can't believe you brought up politics on a first visit! I am pretty opinionated and loud, but you are braver than I! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire the fact that you tried to be a good hostess and turned out well.Good thing you had the idea whats not to brought up or else it would have been a really long day. Except on the last part that you couldn't resist it.;)
    Internet may have served as well when it comes to communication. It bridges us to different people all over the world but in everything that comes to technologies advancement, there holds a responsibility for us. Like the internet it’s a tool that we need to use responsibly since it maybe useful yet could harm us at the same time.

    ReplyDelete