Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Didn't Before, But I will Now

I've been washing laundry for... like... ever! You would think by now that I would have learned to check pockets!! That's right mom, most likely because you always told me to do it... now I don't. Still a rebel!

Last Friday morning I walked through the kid's rooms and picked up any laundry on their floors and got a dark load into the washer nice and early so it could get hung on the line. Much to my dismay when I opened the washer after the load finished there was Haley's Zune! (her MP3 player) It was in the pocket of her shorts that I had found on her bedroom floor!! My 11yo daughter loves this thing. She has music playing in her ears ALL the time. (another thing Mike and I need to evaluate at a later date, the amount of time she is "plugged" in) Not to mention these little buggers are not cheap. All I could do was place the Zune on the deck in the sun and hope, maybe it would dry and work again.
Later that morning while talking to a friend on the phone, she asked, "Why do you seem dismayed?" I explained my dilemma about washing the Zune. She suggested I put it into a plastic baggy with rice. She had heard of people doing that with their cell phones after jumping into pools with them in their pockets. Ok! What do I have to lose?

Placed it into a baggy with rice, and for extra care placed that into a airtight container. We left it on the counter for almost 3 days. Yesterday morning Haley tested it, and IT WORKS!! I was and am stoked.

So, note to self: check pockets of clothing, especially the kids, no more being the rebellious teen.

And for all of you out there, I hope you never need this cool little trick, but now you have it in your arsenal of motherhood fixes.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter dipped my camera, while on, repeatedly in the lake last summer. I couldn't believe that it dried out and still worked. My husband said that the key was not turning it on while it was wet. That would have fried it, but the water can just evaporate away and it will be fine. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't check pockets either and twice recently my 12 yr old left his voice recorder in his pocket. He saved money for it for so long, he was very disappointed. We left it out a few days and it works fine! But, thanks for the rice trick, I'm going to do that if anything like this should happen again.

    ReplyDelete